Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This week, I am trying a new kind of post. Usually, I post recipes, but I thought I would share my top baking tools for making vintage recipes in modern kitchens.
I don’t have any of my grandma’s baking tools so I have had to buy my own. The ones listed below are my top choices. I also consulted some of my friends.
- Wire Whisk – Wire whisks are used a lot in baking so they are great to have around. You can even use one to sift flour!
2. Dough Blender – These come in handy whenever you are making dough. It makes it a lot easier to blend the ingredients.
3. Mixing Bowls with Spout – It’s always a good idea to have at least one set of mixing bowls of various sizes. I actually have about three sets so that I never run out of bowls when I’m baking. I prefer the mixing bowls that have a spout so I can easily pour liquids when I need to.
4. Measuring Spoons – Of course you need measuring spoons so your baking turns out just right. Baking is a more exact science than cooking so it’s important to use these! I recommend measuring spoons with the measurements carved or engraved into the spoon instead of painted on. You don’t want the numbers to wear off!
5. Measuring Cups – Again, these are important so your measurements are accurate. Measuring cups with the numbers carved or engraved into them are the way to go just like I mentioned above with the spoons.
6. Batter Spoons – One of my friends recommended these. I have not used them, but I have ordered some. They make it easier to transfer the batter into muffin tins and to scoop flour and sugar. I always use a regular spoon for my batter and it can get messy!
7. Spatulas/Rubber Scrapers – These are called a couple of different names, depending on where you are from. It doesn’t really matter what you call them as long as you have a few to help you get every last bit of batter off the sides of the bowl!
8. Stand Mixer – I somehow survived without one until last winter, but now I’m not sure how! It frees up my hands and does the mixing for me while I work on other parts of the recipe. I especially love using the dough hook when I’m making bread.
9. Danish Whisk – To be honest, I just learned about this amazing tool from a friend who is also an avid baker. How have I been living without one? It scrapes up pockets of flour that like to hide on the bottom of the mixing bowl. It’s great for mixing heavy dough prior to kneading. I will have to use it the next time I make rolls.
10. Cookie Scoop – This is different from the batter scoop above because it is for stickier doughs like chocolate chip cookies. It has a release mechanism to push the dough out of the scoop. I like to have a few different sizes to choose from.
11. Parchment Paper – Keeps food from sticking to the cookie sheet. I like to use it instead of cooking spray.
12. Dough Scraper – Perfect for getting every last bit of dough off the board. You can also use them to cut dough and smooth icing.
There you have it – those are my recommendations for the baking tools you need in your kitchen. I know I didn’t get everything, but I could honestly have a list of over 50 things, haha. What would you add to this list? Let me know in the comments below.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.