Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s already August, which means that fall is just around the corner! What is synonymous with fall besides pumpkins and leaves? Apples! That is why I decided to make this Apple Coffee Cake.
This coffee cake is easy to make and has that cinnamon apple fall flavor many people are craving this time of year.
What Ingredients Will I Need?
- Baking Powder
- If you don’t have a flour sifter, you can use a whisk to sift the dry ingredients.
- For easy coring, use an apple corer/slicer. Then you can cut the big slices into thinner pieces for topping the coffee cake.
- An 8 inch x 8 inch square pan can be used instead of a 9 inch round pan.
- It is best served warm with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
- The recipe calls for 3 medium-sized apples. I only used about 1 to cover the top layer of batter.
- Granny Smith apples are very tart and are perfect for this recipe.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Cinnamon Crumb Cake – a cake for any time of the day!
- Lemon Gold Cake – a refreshing lemon cake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake – a dense strawberry cake
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake – cake like Grandma used to make
- Best Apple Cake Ever – from A Family Feast
Final Thoughts on Apple Coffee Cake
This cake was delicious and I will definitely be making it again! I may even make two of them at the same time so we can have leftovers with our coffee or for breakfast.
What is your favorite cake that is made with fruit?
Apple Coffee Cake
- 2 Cups Flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Egg beaten
- ½ Cup Milk
- 3 Apples peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease a 9-inch layer pan and set aside.
- Mix and sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Use two knives or a pastry blender to cut in butter.
- Stir the egg and milk together and then stir into the dry ingredients until all ingredients are blended.
- Spread the batter in the buttered pan.
- Place apple slices on top in a circular pattern until the top of the dough is covered.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until toothpick poked in center comes out clean.
*Adapted from The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London, copyright 1972
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.