Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, so I’m not into super strong drinks, but on a hot day sometimes that is what hits the spot. It is supposed to hit the triple-digits here later this week so I looked up how to make a whiskey sour for my husband.
If you like fruity, refreshing, strong drinks then this one is for you! Of course, if you prefer a milder flavor you can always lessen the alcohol or add more lemon juice. It was much more to my liking after my husband stirred it up a bit more and squeezed the orange slice into it.
What Ingredients Will I Need?
Helpful Tips for How to Make a Whiskey Sour
- If the flavor is too strong, add more lemon juice.
- A travel coffee cup is a suitable alternative for a cocktail shaker because it can handle the rapid change in temperature like a cocktail shaker.
- It is helpful to put ice in the shaker as well as into the glass you are pouring into.
- Lemon juice can be used in place of a freshly squeezed lemon.
- A fresh egg white can be added to the recipe to change it to a Boston Sour.
- Use lime juice in place of lemon.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Easy Lemon Bars – simple to make and perfectly tart!
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake – quick and easy with a yummy lemon taste!
- Lemon Gold Cake – an old fashioned lemon cake
- Easy Whiskey Lemonade – by Kelsey at Bake Me Some Sugar
- Apple Cider Margarita – by Amanda at Burrata and Bubbles
- Mango Martini – by Meagan at Mommy Travels
Final Thoughts on How to Make a Whiskey Sour
This drink was delicious but a bit strong for my liking. My husband definitely enjoyed it but he agreed it was better after squeezing the orange garnish into it. I will make it again but add more lemon juice so it’s more tame for me.
What is your favorite mixed drink?
How to Make a Whiskey Sour
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1½ Ounces rye or Scotch
- ½ Lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ Slice Orange
- 2 Maraschino Cherries
- Measure Scotch, Lemon, and Sugar and pour into cocktail shaker that is ¾ filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into an old-fashioned (short) glass full of ice.
- Add a half slice of orange and Maraschino cherries for decoration.
*Adapted from The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London, copyright 1972
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.