Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe for Old-Fashioned Banana Bread is one of my favorites because I have all the ingredients in my kitchen. The only thing I had to do was to make sure that I didn’t let my family eat all of the bananas since I needed to use them.
What Ingredients Will I Need?
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Ripened Bananas
- Lemon Juice
- Walnuts or Pecans
Helpful Tips for Making Banana Bread
When a recipe calls for sifted flour, you can use a whisk to sift if you don’t have a flour sifter. The purpose of sifting is to get out any clumps, which a whisk can do as well.
It is important that you have bananas that have dark spots, as they mash up easier and have a stronger flavor. You can use a fork or a rotary beater to mash them. To make it even easier, you can put the bananas in a large plastic bag and use a rolling pin to mash them.
What if I don’t have ripened bananas? You can place the bananas, still in peels, on a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 350 degrees until the peels turn black.
For shortening, I prefer butter-flavored sticks instead of the can of shortening. It is easier to measure and has a better flavor.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
If you like to make quick bread, you might like my Peanut Butter Bread. Cookies are also a fun treat, and you may enjoy these Easy Cake Mix Cookies. This Strawberry Coffee Cake is delicious, too. If you are looking for a gluten-free recipe, these Gluten Free Banana Muffins are also quite yummy. For a unique twist, you might want to try this Pineapple Banana Bread.
Old-Fashioned Banana Bread
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups mashed, ripened bananas about 4-6
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together.
- Mash bananas. Add lemon juice and stir.
- Cream shortening and sugar together with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients, a little at a time, mixing between each addition. Alternate dry ingredients with milk until both have been completely added.
- Stir in bananas and nuts.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.