Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s already September, which means I can start baking bread again! Cinnamon Raisin Bread is one of my favorites, and this recipe is so easy because it doesn’t require yeast.
Did you know that September 16 is National Cinnamon Raisin Bread Day? Celebrate by making this yummy recipe!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Baking Soda
- Distilled White Vinegar
Equipment You May Need
Helpful Tips for Making Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- If you don’t have a flour sifter, a wire whisk works just as well.
- I prefer to use shortening sticks instead of shortening from a tub or can. It is much easier to measure. Butter flavor is my favorite!
- Crack your eggs into a separate bowl and then pour the eggs into the recipe. This helps avoid eggshells as it’s easier to see them and remove them from a separate bowl.
- To serve, Cut down the middle, and then cut into slices like other quick breads.
- Mix chopped nuts into the batter instead of or as well as putting on top.
- Double the raisins.
- Use dried dates (chopped small) in place of raisins.
- Divide recipe in two, and make in two loaf pans instead of one square pan.
Other Recipes You Might Like
You may also like my Irish Soda Bread Recipe from Ireland, a delicious quick bread with raisins and caraway seeds, or my Old-Fashioned Banana Bread, a yummy quick bread with bananas and nuts. Pineapple Coconut Bread and Cinnamon Granola are also delicious. Protein Zucchini Bread is a good choice as well.
Final Thoughts on Cinnamon Raisin Bread
My family and friends enjoyed this bread so much! It was easy to make and share. We all especially loved the topping. I used pecans, and loved it! Next time, I may try making it in two loaf pans instead of one 8x8x2 pan. Have you had Cinnamon Raisin Bread? It’s great for breakfast, especially warmed up with butter.
Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- ¼ Cup Butter melted
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2½ Cups Flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 5 Tablespoons Distilled White Vinegar, plus Milk to make 1 Cup liquid
- ¼ Cup Shortening melted
- ½ Cup Raisins
- ¼ Cup Nuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8x8x2 inch square pan and set aside.
- Stir together butter, ½ cup sugar, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and other ½ cup sugar.
- Beat eggs with whisk then add vinegar and milk mixture. Blend well. Add shortening and raisins.
- Pour above mixture into flour mixture and stir just until flour is wet.
- Spread half of batter into greased 8x8x2 inch pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon mixture.
- Cover with rest of batter and swirl knife through batter to distribute filling slightly.
- Sprinkle top with rest of cinnamon mixture and nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut in half and then cut into slices and serve warm.
- Makes 2 loaves.
Adapted from The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London, copyright 1972
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.