Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Christmas season is in full swing! Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I do even more baking than normal. You know what makes baking even more fun? Alcohol, especially when you can put some in your recipe and some in your cup! Traditional Rum Balls are the perfect recipe to get you in a festive mood!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Vanilla Wafers
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Powdered Sugar
Equipment You May Need
Helpful Tips for Making Traditional Rum Balls
- The vanilla wafers can be crushed in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or in a food processor, if you have one.
- The Rum Balls turn out best if the vanilla wafers are crushed as finely as possible and the walnuts are also chopped as finely as possible.
- The Rum Balls in this recipe are very small (teaspoon size). If you prefer a larger size, this recipe will make less (of course) so you may need to double the recipe.
Variations and Substitutes
- Bourbon can be used in place of rum
- The balls can be rolled in sprinkles instead of powdered sugar for a more colorful treat
- Graham crackers can be used in place of vanilla wafers
Other Recipes You May Like
- Corn Flake Cookies – a delicious no-bake treat!
- Easy White Chocolate Christmas Snack Mix – a no-bake Christmas favorite!
- Kahlua No Bake Cookies – from Rebecca at Sugar and Soul
Final Thoughts on Traditional Rum Balls
These were a hit with everyone that got to try them! I will definitely add Rum Balls to my yearly Christmas baking list. They were very easy to make and took hardly any ingredients. I love it when I don’t have to empty my whole cupboard to make a recipe! What about you?
What is your favorite dessert made with alcohol?
Traditional Rum Balls
- 3 Cups Vanilla Wafers finely crushed
- 1 Cup Walnuts finely chopped
- 1⅓ Cups Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 15 ounce can)
- ⅓ Cup Rum
- Powdered Sugar or Sprinkles
- Stir together vanilla wafer crumbs and walnuts.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and rum to the above mixture; blend well.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator.
- Dip palms of hands into powdered sugar.
- Shape mixture into teaspoon-sized balls.
- Roll in powdered sugar or colored sprinkles.
- Store in covered container in refrigerator.
*Adapted from The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London, copyright 1972
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.