Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Does your family have a favorite stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving? Ours sure does. My mom has made the same recipe my entire life, and I love it! However, I wanted to try a new recipe this year…so I tested out Homemade Cornbread Stuffing, and it was delicious.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Garlic Powder
- Poultry Seasoning
- Chicken Bouillon Cubes (or Chicken Stock)
- Corn Bread
- White Bread
Equipment You May Need
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Wooden Spoon
- 8″x8″ Baking Dish
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Helpful Tips for Making Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
- For best taste, make your own corn bread and dry it out yourself a day or two before making the stuffing. I used the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. I made one 8″x8″ pan. Then I cubed it and dried it out on the drying rack over a plate for 24 hours.
- For the white bread, I recommend buying a loaf of French bread and drying it out yourself as well as described above. It won’t take the whole loaf since you only need a cup.
- Cook the bacon ahead of time to save time.
Variations and Substitutes
- Reduce onion to 1/3 cup and celery to 1/2 cup. Add 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds or blanched almonds.
- Use 1 cup peeled and chopped boiled chestnuts in place of celery.
- In place of celery, add 3/4 cup raisins and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
Other Recipes You May Like
Other delicious scratch-made casseroles are my Grandpa’s Tuna Casserole – No Cream Soup Needed or this Cornbread Casserole. Parker House Rolls are perfect to have with Thanksgiving dinner. You can also make this Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe and learn How to Blanch and Freeze Green Beans for your Green Bean Casserole. Thanksgiving Fruit Salad also makes a great side dish for your meal.
Final Thoughts on Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
I will be making this Homemade Cornbread Stuffing for Thanksgiving this year. My mom and I will have to compete to see which one people like best! Hers might win for nostalgic purposes but I’m hoping that my family will add mine to their list of things that have to be at Thanksgiving every year!
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
- ½ Cup Cooked Bacon diced
- ¼ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Onion minced
- 1 Cup Celery diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teasoon Poultry Seasoning
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Corn Bread cubed or crumbled
- 1 Cup White Bread Cubes thoroughly dried
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Thoroughly grease 8"x8" pan and set aside.
- Place bacon and butter in heavy skillet and cook over low heat until butter melts.
- Add onion and celery; fry slowly until onions are lightly browned.
- Add seasonings.
- Combine above mixture with corn bread and white bread cubes in bowl.
- Pour chicken broth over the top and stir thoroughly until mixture is moist.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
*Adapted from The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London, copyright 1972
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.