Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you know you can make grilled cheese with your waffle iron? Waffle Grilled Cheese is really simple! Your waffle iron acts as a sandwich press and perfectly grills your sandwich! No more burned sides or flipping on the stove!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sandwich Bread of your choice
- Cheese of your choice
- Cooking Spray
Equipment You Will Need
- Waffle Iron
Helpful Tips for Making Waffle Grilled Cheese
- Let the waffle iron heat up before placing the first sandwich on the grill.
- Melt butter on the bottom side of the grill instead of buttering the bread. Then you don’t have to worry about the bread tearing if the butter is too cold. Spray the top of the waffle iron with cooking spray to grease the top.
- You may have to put pressure on the waffle iron for it to close as sandwiches are thicker than waffle batter.
Variations and Substitutes
- Add your favorite sliced lunch meat for more flavor.
- Bacon would also be a good addition.
- Sprinkle a little minced garlic or dill on top.
- To save calories, use olive oil instead of butter.
Other Recipes You May Like
Baked Chicken Bites make a delicious kid-friendly meal as well. If you want to use your own bread you can learn How to Make Homemade Bread – 1940’s Style or use this Italian Sandwich Bread Recipe. For other ways to use your waffle maker, you can try Leftover Mashed Potato Waffles or this Wonder Bread Chaffle.
Final Thoughts on Waffle Grilled Cheese
This recipe was so simple that I feel silly even calling it a recipe or making it a blog post! But, I had never thought to make grilled cheese this way, so other people probably haven’t either. I loved how perfectly brown and crispy the bread was and the cheese was fully melted. That doesn’t always happen when making grilled cheese on the griddle. At least one side gets a little too cooked! I will always be making it on the waffle iron now. Have you ever made your grilled cheese on your waffle iron?
Waffle Grilled Cheese
- 1 Waffle Iron
- ½ Tablespoon Butter
- Cooking Spray
- 2 Slices Sandwich Bread of your choice
- 3 Slices Cheese of your choice
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Melt ½ Tablespoon butter on bottom half of waffle iron.
- Spray top half of waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Place 3 pieces of sliced cheese between 2 pieces of sandwich bread.
- Place sandwich on waffle iron and close.
- If necessary, add pressure to waffle iron to keep it closed.
- Grilled Cheese is done when bread is brown and crispy and cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from waffle iron with tongs.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.